Product validation in NX
In this project the following trends of development have lead to the need for a software tool that helps our customers validate his products according to certain design guidelines in modeling, draft and assembly.
On the one hand the product complexity is constantly increasing due to enhanced design and modelling possibilities for design engineers. As a result of this increasing complexity failures and errors in the design stage of product development have become more frequent.
On the other hand the increasing quality requirements throughout the entire product development process have lead to more design guidelines. Moreover errors in construction or CAM can lead to severe issues in CAM and production of the parts.
The solution was the development of a software tool that helps our client automate and accelerate the validation of products in the design stage of product development according to predefined design rules and guidelines in the categories modelling, drafting and assembly.
This way failures can be identified and corrected at a very early stage of product development which leads to an increasing quality of CAD data.
The checks of the product validation tool:
The checks of the product validation tool are subdivided into the categories Modelling, Drafting and Assembly. In the course of this project we have implemented the following checks for the three different categories.
- Check Feature Refers Chamfer Blend (checks whether a feature references a chamfer)
- Check Feature Constraints (checks whether a feature is well-positioned)
- Check Promoted Solid (checks whether a solid has been promoted)
- Check Unparameterized Feature (checks for unparameterized features)
- Check Update all Features (checks whether all features are up-to-date)
- Check Tiny Objects (checks for tiny objects)
- Check Face Spike
- Check Face Self Intersect (checks for self-intersecting faces)
- Check Face Face Intersect (checks whether a face intersects another face)
- Check Sketch Fully Constrained (checks whether a sketch is fully constrained)
- Report Wavelink Data (checks whether WaveLink data are available)
- Report Part Family in Assembly (checks whether a part family is in an assembly)
- Check Frozen Status (checks for a frozen status)
- Check Manual Dimensions
- Check Drawing Up to date
- Check Drafting Preferences
- Check Memberview Overlap (checks whether drafts are overlapping)
- Check View (completely) inside Drawing
- Mating Conditions (checks for mating conditions)
- Assembly Constraints (check the status of assembly constraints)
- Already Checked (already checked and rewritten attributes can also be configured if there was a failure based abort)
The dynamic framework of the product validation tool allows for an easy adaptation in changing environments and company specific requirements.
In order to guarantee the compliance with all design guidelines neoapps established a connection between the product validation tool and the corporate wiki of the client.
This way manual repair of faulty designs gets easier as the user can directly look up all relevant design guidelines by one single click on the “show wiki” button.
In addition various checks of the tool have an integrated auto-repair function which help accelerate the entire product validation process. Especially simple checks like checks regarding the compliance with formal requirements can be repaired without direct user interaction.
The product validation tool helps our customer validate the CAD data according to company specific design guidelines in NX by one single click. This way design engineers make sure that only fully validated CAD data leave the engineering department to downstream activities.
The success of the project:
- fully automated validation of design guidelines
- 4 different error levels (error, indication, information, success)
- direct connection to the corporate wiki for the quick inspection of the design guidelines
- Numerous checks with auto-repair function for accelerated validation process
- zoom-in function for easily detectable errors
- errors are highlited in red
- report function for statistical analysis
Are you looking for a similar solution?
Then get in contact with us and benefit from our enormous Know-How in product validation in NX for Siemens PLM Software.